In January 2021, Jukka Aalho, a Finnish writer and full-stack marketer, wrote a book of poems within 24 hours with the help of AI. Titled ‘Aum Golly’, the authors credited on the cover of the book are Jukka Aalho and GPT-3, the Open AI language model capable of generating human-like text with the click of a button.
Artificial intelligence has been around for more than half a century but it has only been in the past decade that we’ve seen fundamental shifts in how it can be used.
A recent breakthrough in this field is AI copy, which as mentioned earlier, can be used to create a book in less than a day!
What is AI copy?
AI copy refers to unique content created through the use of artificial intelligence, machine learning algorithms, and natural language processing (NLP) techniques that are virtually indistinguishable from human-generated copy.
AI copy is generated by using artificial neural networks to write natural-sounding sentences or paragraphs.
The idea behind AI copy is simple. It aims to automate content creation by using artificial intelligence to write copy based on data provided by users.
How does AI copywriting work?
AI copywriting tools use deep learning to analyze large amounts of data collected from various online databases such as search engines, social media sites, online libraries, blogs, and forums. The software then uses this data to train itself to produce new original content. The end result is fresh human-like copy that looks like it was written by a real person.
So when you use an AI copywriting tool, you first provide it with all the information needed to create a piece of content (the context), and then let the algorithm do its thing. The AI copywriter analyzes this information and generates a draft version of the content. Finally, you review the draft and make all the necessary changes before publishing it.
What type of copy can you create with AI copywriters?
You can create any type of copy imaginable using AI copywriting tools! These include short-form and long-form content such as:
- Landing pages, website content, and sales letters
- SEO-optimized blog posts and blog intros
- Email marketing campaigns and newsletters
- Video scripts and podcast episodes
- Case studies, lead magnets, and ebooks
- Social media content
- Ads, product descriptions, and reviews
- Press releases, white papers, and technical documents
- Surveys and webinars
- Stories, poems, novels, and song lyrics
There’s also a powerful feature available in certain AI writing tools i.e the ability to train them to generate custom use cases, messages, and content using 2-3 prewritten examples demonstrating the type of copy, style, and tone you want to emulate. You can then save these examples as a template to use in the future. This allows you to generate virtually any type of content under the sun!
Does AI copy negatively impact SEO?
No, AI copy doesn’t negatively affect your rankings and SEO efforts. In fact, it helps improve them as it helps create fresh, regular, and unique content that will keep visitors engaged and encourage them to share your site with others.
Most people who use AI copywriting tools are surprised at how effective they are at improving organic traffic. They often find that their blog or website receives better rankings and more leads after they begin posting consistently with the aid of such tools.
Technically, Google does not penalize sites for using artificial intelligence to create original content. This does not mean that you can churn out low-quality content without any human input or editing and expect it to do well.
For example, some websites use AI to generate spun content plagiarized from other sources. This is considered spammy and can result in penalties. Read Google’s take on the issue in the screenshot below.
A snippet of Google’s stance on the issue of auto-generated content taken from Google Search Central
It’s important to remember that at the end of the day, AI copywriters are just a tool to help humans ideate and do their work more efficiently. You need to look at them as your ‘creative teammate’ rather than the be-all and end-all solution to your copy needs!
Talking further about AI content and SEO, there are also certain AI writers that specially help you optimize AI-generated content for SEO purposes as well as provide keyword insights, ContentBot being one of them. Our SEO tool named ‘Discover’ is fueled by data from Semrush and is integrated within our long-form editor.
Watch the video below to explore ‘Discover’!
How can an AI copywriting tool help you?
You should always try to find ways to automate tasks whenever possible. Why? Because doing things manually takes too long! When you use an AI copywriter, you can save hours of work each week without lifting a finger.
Here are some ways AI content writing tools can help you:
- More time: It’s no secret that most marketers struggle to find enough time to manage their business. That’s why they hire freelancers who charge them per project. With AI-generated copy, however, you just give the tool the context, goals, audience, and structure of the message and let it go to work. Or if you’d prefer more manual intervention, you can use an AI tool to kickstart the ideation process and then shape the content.
- Easier to scale: Because AI copywriting is automated, it’s extremely scalable. You can scale up your campaign whenever you want.
- Affordable: AI copy isn’t only great for big companies; it’s also very cost-effective for small businesses. For example, with Contentbot, you can quickly create hundreds of unique pieces of content for less than $100 per month.
- Easy to implement: Most AI copywriters have a simple and user-friendly interface where you can start generating copy in under half an hour!
- Faster turnaround times: If you’re a startup or even a medium-sized company, AI content creation lets you publish higher volumes of original content while still maintaining quality. You can use AI copywriting tools to generate blogs, social media copy, newsletters, ebooks, videos, and other digital assets in weeks instead of months. This can boost your traffic and lead to increased sales.
In addition to these benefits, AI copywriters can help you understand which types of messages perform best based on their analysis of your data. You can then develop more effective campaigns and strategies.
AI Copywriting Limitations
AI-powered writing is still in its infancy and thus has certain shortcomings. They include:
- You can’t guarantee 100% original content: As AI writers draw from a massive dataset of previously published text from the internet, it’s virtually impossible to generate completely novel content as there may be phrases or sentences that repeat. Thus, it’s important to pass AI-generated content through a plagiarism checker.
- Unpredictable results: The quality of the output depends entirely on how well the software understands your needs. In other words, you can’t expect perfect results every time.
- No full understanding of customer behavior: AI copywriters aren’t aware of the context surrounding each message. They simply write from scratch without any knowledge of your audience’s preferences and consumer persona.
- Can’t write about facts or sensitive issues: AI-powered copywriters aren’t able to handle complex, research-intensive, fact-based, or controversial topics. It is possible for them to propagate false narratives and biases if used to write about sensitive issues such as politics or religion. Thus, it’s vital to fact-check any and all AI content.
The Bottom Line
There’s a strong need for a universal regulatory body to lay down guidelines for the ethical use of AI copywriting.
That aside, if you’re looking to boost your marketing strategy without spending a fortune, consider trying out an AI copywriting tool. It will not only save you time and effort but also provide quality content at a fraction of the price.
A Penny for Your Thoughts?
Have you used any AI copywriting tools before? How did it go? Share your experience in the comments section below!
Article written by Annalie Gracias